Monthly Gardener Suggestions
Suggestions and ideas to help you enjoy gardening! 🌹
- Now is the time of year that Cabin Fever and garden catalogs in our mailboxes get us dreaming about getting out into the garden.
- Start plans for changes or improvements in the garden on paper.
- Order seed for early planting.
- Repair and sharpen mowers and tools.Order new pots and markers.
- Check condition of sprayers.
- Set out trees and shrubs.
- Sweet Peas, Poppies, and Larkspur.
- January - March is the proper time to fertilize trees and shrubs.
- Apply lime to lawns if needed.
- Scale on broad-leaved evergreens should be sprayed with dormant oil for control.
- Trim Nandinas.
- Mulch Lilies with compost.
- Protect tender plants during periods of extreme cold.
- Keep bird feeders stocked. Provide water for birds.
- After freeze check to make sure plants have not heaved out of the ground.
- Collect winter berries and tree needles for a winter potpourri.Mahonia and Aucuba will root in water indoors and provide color from the outdoors.
- A small amount of sugar in the water will help prevent Holly branches from losing berries.Wash and dust leaves of house plants.
- Inspect house plants for insects and diseases.
- Camellia, Winter Honeysuckle, Winter Jasmine, and in mild winters Flowering Quince.